A former working mom trying to figure out what being a SAHM is all about.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

What I've Learned as a SAHM

Stay at home mom (SAHM) in case you didn't know ;)

So, I have been a SAHM for  a little over a year. I didn't think I would survive the first month but now I'm in a groove and am enjoying it. I am actively looking for a full-time job as are A LOT of other folks in the Roanoke Valley area. I do need to go back to work if we want to do things like, buy a house, send our kids to college, pay for unexpected expenses. I am also a member of the worst career field, public relations. We are always the first to go and the last to come back.

Anyway, I've learned a lot in my year at home with Alex and Brooklyn. I've been able to compare it to being a working mom since I went back to work when Alex (now 4) was 12 weeks old and worked until Brooklyn was 6 months old (now 19 months).

1. As stated earlier the first month or two is the hardest!
2. Pray that it doesn't snow or you will be stuck in the house for 2 wks straight.
3. Pray for patience all the time.
4. The PBS show "Word World" can teach your child their letters. B can recognize most of her letters already ;)
5. Kids eat 24/7 and quickly learn the word snack.
6. Put at least one kid in a program of some type a couple of days a week for your own sanity.
7. Run all your errands when you only have one kid, so much easier!
8. Cooking is possible if you have the time.
9. Mommy can: take a nap, read a book, clean, watch TV, email, start an online business during nap time.
10. Naps for the kids MUST happen!
11. I am WAY busier now then when I actually had a job! Not a myth, I'm telling you it's fact!
12. I think at least once a week, "How in the world did all this get done when i worked?"
13. I love the park and taking my kids to play in the creek!
14. I do miss my lunch hour.
17. I thank God for the little things a lot more.
15. My brain is turning to mush.
16. My children do funny stuff ALL the time!

I am so grateful for having this time with my family!

No comments: